You rely on your furnace pretty heavily this time of year, especially at night. The drop in temperature during the months of winter and spring has all of us getting out the warm clothing and hot drinks. Of course, a problem with your furnace is going to lead to some serious trouble in the goal to stay warm
If you are finding that you have to fight to keep warm on a regular basis, it may be due to a need for furnace repair in Linwood. If your furnace needs to be repaired, the sooner you make an appointment with a professional the better off you’ll be.
But how can you tell you need repairs before your furnace leaves you feeling icy? Watch out for these warning signs:
How to Tell Your Furnace Has a Problem
Is your furnace fighting against a repair need that will eventually take down your home comfort? Here are some warning signs that it is and you need to call in the pros to address the problem:
- You hear concerning sounds: Your furnace is not supposed to make a ruckus every single time it runs. If you notice that your furnace has started to make some new and concerning noises, it means that it is a good time to reach out to a professional to check things out. Noises that you should be concerned about include rattling, hissing, screeching, booming, buzzing or humming, and clanging
- You smell something bad: Perhaps running your furnace leaves you holding your nose. This isn’t normal either. While running your furnace for the first time it can produce a brief smell of burning dust, anything beyond this is worth a call for repairs. The smell of electrical components burning or the smell of dirty socks are both strong indicators of a repair need in your furnace. Even more important if you smell gas when running your furnace turn it off immediately and call for repairs.
- You notice less airflow: Your furnace is supposed to create a steady and strong flow of warm air throughout your home. If you start noticing that your furnace is producing less air in some parts of the home than others or has weak airflow all around it was worth it to call an expert for repairs. You may have a fan problem or another issue clogging things up.
- The furnace has irregular cycles: The system starts up and runs for a few minutes but then shuts down before it makes a dent in the temperature in your home. Or maybe your furnace runs and runs until you have to turn it off completely to get it to stop. Irregular cycles of either type are a problem that justifies a call to a professional technician.
- You haven’t scheduled maintenance in a while: Yes, skipping maintenance for a year or two can actually increase the chance that you’ll need a repair for your furnace. If it has been more than a year and a half since your scheduled maintenance, it is more than likely that your furnace needs repairs.
If you are having trouble with your furnace, you can come to our team for help. Contact Elliott-McElwee, Inc. today. Your comfort is our business.